This upcoming admission is probably not going to shock you, but …. I look at the Sephora USA website every day. Oh and I don’t just look at it, I browse almost every page in hope I will find something new and amazing that I have never heard of. With out a doubt I find something at least once a week, but unfortunately I rarely can buy it.
My last haul arrived way back in February and I am still slowing getting around to playing with everything. One item I put straight to use was this one, the DERMAdoctor Gorilla Warfare deodorant. With out a doubt I am one lazy groomer so if there is something that can combine two functions into one, I will love it …. more or less. The fact this deodorant boasted hair minimizing capabilities just blew me away. How on earth can your daily deodorant help to rid you of body hair? My initial thoughts were that it would be some form of acid that simply burns the skin right down to the hair folicle. Sure, that would work but it would be mighty painful. Nevertheless, I ordered it anyway.
What I Say ….
When it arrived, the packaging instantly won me over. I love purple and I loved the little cartoon gorilla on the bottle. Adorable. The first thing I wanted to know was how it worked. What does it really do to ‘minimize’ the hair. I read every bit of writing on the box and it said nothing of use (I will show you what DERMAdoctor says about the product a bit further down) It has a few cute play on words about ‘going ape’ and ‘monkeying around’, and there is a list of plant extracts, but no information on what it does to the hair to minimize it.
After yesterdays post on IPL/Laser hair removal we now know how they work …. heat. Then there is of course the conventional hair removal methods of shaving, waxing and depilatory but surely none of those are combined with this deodorant? I was left stumped but decided to give up for the time being.
As of today, I have been using the product for nearly 2 months and I am quite impressed with the ‘minimizing’ claims. My hair is definitely a lot thinner and my skin is smoother. I find that using it immediately after hair removal (usually shaving in my case) it grows the hair back much slower than usual, and no ‘prickly’ regrowth. If you are usually a shaver than you will know how visible the hair can be under your skin, even minutes after shaving. This product has completely rid me of that ‘regrowth shadow’.
Other positives I have found with this product is that you need very little to do the job; a couple of strokes under the arm and you are done. The antiperspirant is powerful and it lasts an entire day of normal activities, however I am yet to test this in extreme heat or while exerting myself.
There are a couple of downsides that have to be noted. The formula is a yellow-y colour so you do need to let it completely dry before you get dressed or it will leave a stain. Having said that, once it is completely dry you have to get your top on carefully because it leaves white marks like I have never experienced before. The last one is subject to personal opinion, but I don’t like the smell of it. At first it didn’t bother me but after daily use I started to notice a rather strong ‘chemical’ smell. It could be all the plant extracts, I don’t know, but I just don’t like it.
After all this testing I finally logged on to the DERMAdoctor website, where I found all the information I was looking for. A complete list of what the ingredients do to minimize hair. What a relief, and I will absolutely keep using this deodorant because it really does work, but I will just make sure to include a good dose of perfume as well.
What DERMAdoctor Say ….
Feeling like Tarzan instead of Jane? No need to go ape over jungle-like hair growth and rain forest-level wetness. Stop monkeying around with the ordinary and make peace with two decidedly indelicate concerns with a solution uniquely camouflaged as a daily antiperspirant.
Paraben free. Fragrance Free. Dye Free. Dermatologist Tested. Allergy Tested. Non Irritating. Non Comedogenic. No Animal Testing
Contains fourteen highly evolved botanicals that help turn underarm hair into an endangered species. Features the “tropical” foliage of:
- MYRICA CERIFERA (BAYBERRY) LEAF EXTRACT – a natural source rich in dihydromyrectin
- DIHYDROMYRECETIN – anticipated to cause selective inhibition of tyrosine kinase activity of the IGF-1 receptor & prevents follicular growth during anagen phase.
- GYMNEMA SYLVESTRE LEAF EXTRACT – thought to reduce proliferation of keratinocytes and mitotic activity of hair folicle.
- SERENOA SERRULATA FRUIT EXTRACT – (aka saw palmetto) considered to limit testerone production.
- EPILOBIUM ANGUSTIFOLIUM EXTRACT – (aka fireweed) thought to minimize hair regrowth by denaturing the hair shaft helix.
- CUCURBITA PEPO (PUMPKIN) SEED EXTRACT – considered an anti-androgenic anti-DHT effect.
- SALIX ALBA (WILLOW) BARK EXTRACT – thought to help dissolve and denature keratin.
- LARREA DIVARICATA EXTRACT – (aka chapparal) rich in NDGA which is thought to moderate regrowth and slows down cell growth rate.
- PALMATINE – moderates mitotic activity of hair bulb keratinocytes.
- SUBTILISIN – hydrolyzes keratin into small peptides and decreases synthesis of hair proteins.
- UREA – denatures the cellular proteins and expedites hair exfoliation.
- HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN – anti-androgenic effects.
- NORDIHYDROGUAIARETIC ACID – considered to reduce DHT levels.
- OLEANOLIC ACID – luekotriene inhibitor thought to help reduce DHT levels
Help save the primates! DERMAdoctor will donate a percentage of the proceeds from Gorilla Warfare to the Jane Goodall Institute.
Information sourced from DERMAdoctor website
TIP: The DERMAdoctor website stocks some of the best beauty brands in the world …. and they SHIP INTERNATIONALLY (very reasonably too!).
Head over to the Brands page and you will find some of your all time favourites like Fekkai, Baby Quasar, Dr. Brandt, GoSmile, Priori, Tweezerman, StriVectin, Peter Thomas Roth and SO much more. Oh and did I mention that is all in US dollars? GO NUTS!