Hair Look: Messy Marilyn
Hair Director: Richard Kavanagh for Redken
For the hair look at Kate Sylvester, Redken Hair Director Richard Kavanagh wanted to relate the look back to the collection, “I wanted to tie in the lace detail from the collection into the hair with a really nonchalant braid.”
“The inspiration for this look was based on two things. First, we all got together and just had a brainstorming session for what we thought were the coolest looks out there. It’s a nice creative process and it also brings us together as a team,” says Redken Hair Director Richard Kavanagh. “Secondly, Kate’s collection was actually based on Bert Stein’s portrait of Marilyn Monroe – ‘The Last Sitting’. It’s not a typical, done-up Monroe image. She actually looks really effortlessly and naturally sexy, hair slightly mussed. We wanted to represent that cool essence as well as the Americana vibes happening in the collection.”
HOW TO GET THE LOOK
1. Prep the hair thoroughly with Rootful 06 root lifting spray and then Guts 10 volume spray foam until hair is completely saturated.
2. Blast hair using a hair dryer on a high heat setting until completely dry, brushing through the product as you dry.
3. Sprinkle Powder Grip 03 mattifying hair powder through roots and lengths for grip and added texture.
4. Create a part on the left, sweeping the hair right across the face then pull back into a tight low pony at the nape.
5. With three sections, create a loose, short plait a couple of inches long and then secure with a pin.
6. Spray hair all over with Powder Refresh 01 dry shampoo for a dusty, textured look. Then, holding the nozzle close to the hair, spray Forceful 23 super strength finishing spray to sections on the crown, to create areas of texture detail and a wet look finish.
1. Redken Rootful 06 root lifting spray
2. Redken Guts 10 volume spray foam
3. Redken Powder Grip 03 mattifying hair powder
4. Redken Powder Refresh 01 dry shampoo
5. Redken Forceful 23 versatile working spray
Australia – At your nearest Redken salon. Phone 1300 650 170 to locate.
UK – At your nearest Redken salon. Find one with the Salon Locator.
What do you think of this look? Let me know by commenting below!
All images provided by L’Oreal Professional Australia
This post contains an affiliate link, which gives us commission when you click and purchase something from that link. You do not pay any more for the item by shopping through an affiliate link than you would through a regular link. When you shop through an affiliate link on The Plastic Diaries, you help support the site. To learn more, please visit our Affiliates page.