Finding a good face cleanser shouldn’t be difficult but for me it’s one of those things I’m always looking to improve. I was recommended the Hylamide High Efficiency Face Cleaner as an all-in-one solution for makeup removal and skin cleansing. I have dry skin and I’m lazy, so I want quick and easy without compromising on quality results.
- The Hylamide High Efficiency Face Cleaner comes in one size, a very generous 120ml/4 fl oz bottle. I say generous because a little goes a long way and after 3 months of daily use my bottle is still going strong.
- A slim plastic bottle is fitted with a metal cap but a twist-to-open plastic tip is included in the box. The twist tip (similar to condiment bottles) is more handy than the traditional cap but with the cleanser being such a runny liquid I struggle to close the cleanser while the liquid is in my hand. I also prefer to wash my face in the shower so the tip was best for keeping water out of the product (when sealed tightly) but again made for slippery conditions of handling the bottle. My packaging preference for this product would have been a pump – it wouldn’t be as useful when the product is down to the last dreads but I could simply undo the top and pour it out as I do with other pump products.
- This transparent cleanser feels like an oil (well, it IS an oil) but with a light and runny consistency. Interestingly, it acts more like a water-based cleanser. It turns slightly cloudy when mixed with water and it noticeably lathers when I use it with my Foreo. Best of all is that it rinses off with just water and doesn’t leave a residue on the skin surface – something that traditional oil cleansers don’t do! It’s one of the key reasons I don’t really like oil cleansers, they’re not the most friendly for lazy people. The Hylamide High Efficiency Face Cleaner changes that by encompassing the best parts of an oil-based cleanser and the best parts of a water-based cleanser.
- When I have makeup on, I use as directed by massaging into my dry skin. This method melts the makeup and I can usually tell when my face is ready for rinsing because the colours smear into each other. It’s gentle enough to use on the eyelids and eye area, and it does a pretty good job of removing mascara and eyeliner. After rinsing I usually do a second cleanse just to make sure I’ve got as much makeup off as possible and to cleanse my skin properly. Normally a double cleanse can leave my skin feeling really dried out or squeaky but the Hylamide High Efficiency Face Cleaner doesn’t do that to me.
- Without makeup on I apply a bit of water to my face and then massage in the cleanser. This is usually when I’m in the shower and I’ll team it with my Foreo. I do feel like the Foreo makes the product go a lot further with less. I use about half the amount of cleanser with the Foreo than I do when using my fingers.
- Both methods of cleansing leaves my skin feeling soft, hydrated and clean. My blackheads have greatly reduced and my pores don’t get any where near the build-up it has been previously. This is especially important to me during Spring-Summer when sweat tends to cause excess build-up.
- It has a slightly herbal, green scent. Hylamide, and Deciem in general, aren’t formulating products that focus on smell and to look pretty – their premise is efficacy. Personally I didn’t like the scent but it doesn’t linger once the cleanser is washed off and it’s not so off-putting that I’d consider not using the product because of it.
- I never do it on purpose but cleanser always ends up in my mouth when I’m washing my face. For this reason I note the taste of a product but I really don’t recommend ever tasting a product on purpose. For me, this cleanser had a really bad after taste.
- The cleanser is water-free, alcohol-free, silicone-free, vegan and cruelty-free.
What Hylamide says ….
A highly-efficient, crystal-clear micro-emulsion brings together oils, esters and water-compatible cleaners into one advanced formula that works like an oil cleaner but acts like a water-based one and rinses off effectively. In a single step, oils of Mediterranean Crambe and East Asian Kanuga work with plant-derived esters to delete every trace of impurity, face- and eye-makeup. As you rinse off, sustainably-sourced Amazonian oils together with purified tomato carotenoids leave behind an innocuous layer of comfortable, non-comedogenic hydration. Unlike traditional oil cleaners, this advanced micro-emulsion does not require using a towel or mitt to clean the face as it rinses off efficiently with water in a single step.
If makeup is present, massage well onto dry face and rinse with warm water. If no makeup is present, massage well onto wet face and rinse with warm water.
Which face cleanser are you using at the moment? Does the Hylamide High Efficiency Face Cleaner sound like a product you’d use? Let me know by commenting below!
Cruelty-free Certification/s: No
Company Statement: “We will not sell in mainland China because of its draconian, ridiculous and unnecessary animal testing requirements that have plagued the beauty business. We will continue not to test on animals. We also make no requirements for any of our suppliers to test on animals, nor do we pay any other party to do animal testing on our behalf.” – Co-CEO Nicola Kilner
Palm Oil-free: TBC
Cetyl ethylhexanoate, peg-20 glyceryl triisostearate, bisabolol, oenocarpus bataua fruit oil, bertholletia excelsa seed oil, plukenetia volubilis seed oil, crambe abyssinica seed oil, simmondsia chinensis seed oil, solanum lycopersicum (tomato) fruit extract, pongamia pinnata (karanja) seed oil, squalane, ethylhexyl stearate, tocopherol, phenoxyethanol, chlorphenesin.