If you follow beauty on Instagram it’s highly likely you’ve seen the Trefiel Lace Sheet Mask. They look like a piece of black lace, often seen adorning the faces of cute beauty influencers. What they actually are is a range of sheet masks. Really pretty sheet masks.
The Trefiel Lace Sheet Mask is available in four formulations – Moisturising, Brightening, Repairing and Toning. Trefiel initially launched with just the Moisturising mask but later rebranded and added 3 more masks to the line-up. I chose to review their original Moisturising Face Mask.
- This sheet mask is made from a firm gel-like substance that Trefiel call a “Hydromask”. The mask is black and aesthetically resembles lace. It’s not just a printed design on top of a gel mask, it’s actually got the holes and mesh like structure.
- The Trefiel Lace Sheet Mask comes packaged with a protective layer on either side. After opening the pouch, I removed the mask and unfolded. I found my mask had slipped and bunched while in the pouch so when I took off the protective layer I had to stretch out the mask again. It was like the protective layers hadn’t adequately sandwiched the mask in order to prevent it bunching up on itself. This isn’t a huge issue but due to it being so slippery I struggled to stretch it out completely flat. I had to apply it to my face as it was and slowly stretch it out there until my face was covered.
- There are two pieces to the Trefiel Lace Sheet Mask. The top half covers the forehead down to the cheekbones and nose. The bottom half goes around the lips and covers the jaw. I found this split design to be a better solution than one solid piece as it allowed me to overlap. I have a smallish face so masks are usually too big for me and I have to try bunch it up in order to fit my face. This mask, however, seemed to be on the smaller side (when compared to other sheet masks I’ve tried, i.e. SK-II). The smaller size worked in my favour.
- The cutouts for facial features were a little oddly shaped for me. I found the lip hole much larger than I usually like (I want to get as close to my lips as possible) and the nose slit a bit too small (damn my big nose!)
- The mask was very moist when removed from the pouch and there was still a good 3 or so tablespoons of serum left over in the pouch. After applying the face mask I brushed on some of the leftover serum onto my neck and over the face mask. I love that there was so much extra.
- Trefiel recommend the mask stays on for 15 to 30 minutes. I found that after 15 minutes my dry skin had absorbed majority of the moisture. At this time I could of topped it up with more leftover serum from the pouch but as I was reviewing this product I chose to leave it as is to see how it would feel at 30 minutes. The mask was quite dry but still soft and easy to peel off after the 30 minutes elapsed.
- After removing the mask there was no remaining residue left on my skin to massage in or wipe off. My skin felt really hydrated and appeared slightly more plump, especially on my cheeks and in the dehydration lines on my forehead. There was a slight glow and dewiness left behind. I was happy with both the feel and look of my skin after using this mask.
- I found the fragrance to be light, fresh and clean. In my opinion it has green and citrus notes. It was barely noticeable for me and no scent remained after removing the mask.
- Despite Trefiel promoting their masks as using only plant-based ingredients, their masks contain Hydrolyzed Collagen (gelatine). This was a disappointment to me and I see it as quite misleading. Using the term “plant-based” leads vegans and vegetarians to believe this is suitable for them when in fact it contains animal ingredients.
What Trefiel say ….
The perfect introduction to face masking. This mask will leave your skin glowing like never before. Think radiant skin that is plump and dewy.
Glowing skin. Intense hydration. Fine lines and wrinkles, gone. Our moisturising masks soothe your skin and leave you glowing like a good laugh with your friends. They’re even gentle enough for everyone, so you can share your masks with your besties.
UPDATE: Trefiel have advised me that they will be moving to an entirely vegan product range when their current stock sells out. They estimate that to happen before the end of 2017.
Australia $9.95 from Trefiel
USA & UK – Available directly from Trefiel
Do you use face sheet masks? Do you have a favourite? Let me know by commenting below!
Cruelty-free Certification/s: None
“We never test on animals. Only ladies”. As per their website’s FAQ section.
Palm Oil-free: TBC – requested from company
Aqua, Glycerin, Betaine, Butanediol, Trehalose, Chondrus Crispus, Ceratonia Siliqua Gum, Aloe Vera Extract, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Hyaluronic Acid, Astragalus Membranaceus Root Extract, Atractyloides Macrocephala Rhizome Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Chamomile Extract, Albizia Julibrissin Bark Extract, Glycyrrhiza Uralensis (Licorice Root) Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, PEG/PPG-18/6 Dimethicone, Carbomer, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Potassium Chloride, Parfum.