The Bamboo UV+ Colour Hold range says it’s ideal for vibrant hair colours, which is exactly what I had when I did this to my hair. However, that wasn’t enough to make me to commit to the 4-piece lineup. When I want to try a new haircare line I love if they offer trial size or travel kits that allow you to test it before committing to full-size bottles. Alterna isn’t your supermarket-priced haircare brand and even though I’ve loved everything I’ve used of theirs in the past, I didn’t want to invest in 4 premium haircare products without a little proof first. That’s why the Bamboo UV+ Colour Hold On-The-Go kit was perfect for me.
The travel kit contains deluxe miniatures of the full range which I’ve been using for the past few weeks. Using all of the products together allowed me to best chance to get results from the formulas. Did it work? Did it keep my bright locks bright? My review tells all.
- The 4-piece collection comes packaged in a small hessian zippered bag. It’s perfect for travelling and I managed to also squeeze in a comb, travel hairbrush, a few hair ties and a butterfly clip. It kept all my hair needs in one place and that makes travelling with it a breeze.
- The Shampoo and Conditioner are both 40ml in size. This is an extremely generous amount seeing as though you need just the size of a quarter of shampoo and just a tad more of conditioner, per use on average.
- Vibrant Colour Shampoo has a liquid gel consistency and is very gentle on my hair and scalp. It removed oily residue without much physical scrubbing but didn’t strip the colour out like most shampoo’s and conditioners. Usually the rinse off from a vibrant colour like mine makes it look like I’ve slaughtered a clown in my shower, but the colour run off was noticeably minimal by comparison when using this shampoo.
- Vibrant Colour Conditioner was probably the product I liked least out of the kit. I think it would be ideal for anyone who isn’t pre-bleaching their hair but because I’m required to my hair needs extra powerful conditioner to get through the knotted ends. The formula is creamy but light, making it great for fine hair like mine but not when peroxide is involved.
- Rehab Deep Hydration Masque comes in a 50g pot. I really loathe products in pots but that’s the only thing I didn’t like about this mask. The thick creme slips on to my hair and melts in. When it comes to combing and rinsing I can feel how much smoother my hair is and that each hair shaft isn’t tangled to each other like it is after shampooing. Despite how rich it is, the mask washes off easily and I don’t feel any slimy residue remaining once I’m out of the shower.
- Fade-Proof Fluid comes in a 30ml pump-pack. You can see as you pump it into your hand that the consistency is more fluid than typical serum. Its much lighter than serum too, and it spreads into the hair similar to applying plain water. After a few seconds you can feel a slickness to it in the hair, and it makes combing after towel-drying a lot easier.
- The shampoo, conditioner and mask work to lock-in hair colour with water-resistant colour hold technology and add in some water-resistant UV filters to protect fade. The real UV fighter is the serum which adds a strong UVA/UVB barrier that prevents colour fade caused by the sun’s rays.
- Alterna is a brand I love as much for their ethics as I do their products. The Bamboo UV+ range contain certified organic ingredients grown responsibly and ethically traded. Their production and sale aids in supporting the development of local communities while remaining environmentally friendly.
- All products are free of sulfates, sodium chloride, parabens, gluten, TEA, DEA and phthalates.
What Alterna says ….
Retain color and fight fading with Organic Kalahari Melon and Color Hold® UV+ technology. Also formulated with Organic Bamboo Extract for a strengthening foundation.
Australia $46.51 from Look Fantastic
Have you tried any Alterna products? Do you need colour hold haircare? Let me know by commenting below!
Alterna’s own claim mentioned on their packaging is “never tested on animals”. No official statement is provided on their website. We have requested their policy and will update this section upon receiving it.
Vibrant Colour Shampoo:
Water (Aqua), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Disodium 2-Sulfolaurate, Sodium Methyl 2-Sulfolaurate, Cetrimonium Chloride, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Bambusa Vulgaris Water, Bambusa Vulgaris Extract, Citullus Lanatus (Kalahari Watermelon) Seed Extract, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Leaf Extract, Aleurites Moluccana Seed Oil, Moringa Pterygosperma Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Lauramide MEA, PEG-150 Distearate, Silicone Quaternium-8, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Glycerin, Panthenol, Amodimethicone, Polyquaternium-55, PEG-90 Glyceryl Isostearate, Methyl Gluceth-10, PEG-15 Soyamine/IPDI Copolymer Dimer Dilinoleate, Sodium Benzoate, Polyquaternium-7, C11-15 Pareth-7, Quaternium-95, Hydrogenated Castor Oil/Sebacic Acid Copolymer, Panthenyl Hydroxypropyl Steardimonium Chloride, Laureth-9, Linalool, Limonene, Disodium EDTA, Propanediol, Laureth-2, Glycol Distearate, Laureth-4, Trideceth-12, Octocrylene, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hexyl Cinnamal, Polysilicone-15, Aminomethyl Propanol, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Alcohol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Inulin Lauryl Carbamate, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Phospholipids, Behentrimonium Chloride, Sucrose Laurate, Methylisothiazolinone, Ascorbic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Saccharomyces/Magnesium Ferment, Wasabia Japonica Root Extract, Saccharomyces/Iron Ferment, Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment, Saccharomyces/Silicon Ferment, Saccharomyces/Zinc Ferment, Polyquaternium-10, Silanetriol Melaninate, Superoxide Dismutase, Bromelain, Papain, Fragrance (Parfum).
Vibrant Colour Conditioner:
Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Amodimethicone, Glycerin, Bambusa Vulgaris Extract, Citullus Lanatus (Kalahari Watermelon) Seed Extract, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Leaf Extract, Dihydroxypropyl PEG-5 Linoleammonium Chloride, Hydrogenated Castor Oil/Sebacic Acid Copolymer, Panthenol, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Dimethiconol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Cyclohexasiloxane, Quaternium-95, C11-15 Pareth-7, Polysilicone-15, Citric Acid, Laureth-9, Phospholipids, Linalool, Limonene, Propanediol, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Trideceth-12, C12-13 Pareth-23, C12-13 Pareth-3, Hexyl Cinnamal, Disodium EDTA, Tocopheryl Acetate, Methylisothiazolinone, Moringa Pterygosperma Seed Oil, Octocrylene, Alcohol, Wasabia Japonica Root Extract, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane/Avobenzone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Inulin Lauryl Carbamate, Polyquaternium-10, Silanetriol Melaninate, Superoxide Dismutase, Bromelain, Papain, Behentrimonium Chloride, Sucrose Laurate, Saccharomyces/Magnesium Ferment, Saccharomyces/Iron Ferment, Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment, Saccharomyces/Silicon Ferment, Saccharomyces/Zinc Ferment, Fragrance (Parfum).
Rehab Deep Hydration Masque:
Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glycerin, Cetyl Esters, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cyclopentasiloxane, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Polysilicone-15, Citrullus Ianatus (Kalahari Watermelon) Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract, Citrullus Ianatus (Kalahari Watermelon) Seed Extract, Quaternium 95, Propanediol, Ceteareth-20, Phospholipids, Panthenol, Moringa Pterygosperma Seed Oil, Dimethiconol, Polysorbate 60, Polyquaternium-10, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Butylene Glycol, Fragrance (Parfum), Behentrimonium Chloride, Wasabia Japonica Leaf Extract, Silanetriol Melaninate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Bambusa Vulgaris Extract, Lecithin, Phyllostachis Bambusoides Juice, Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment, Superoxide Dismutase, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Retinyl Palmitate, Hydrogenated Coco-Glycerides, Sucrose Laurate, Octocrylene, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Benzophenone-4, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Bromelain, Papain, Inulin Lauryl Carbamate, Ethyl Oleate, Ethyl Linolenate, Ethyl Linoleate, Arachidyl Propionate, Octyldodecanol, Alcohol, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, Methylisothiazolinone, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool.
Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Isododecane, Dimethiconol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Wasabia Japonica Leaf Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polysilicone-15, Polyquaternium-10, Phospholipids, Moringa Pterygosperma Seed Oil, Cyclomethicone , Silanetriol Melaninate, Octyldodecanol, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Citrullus Ianatus (Kalahari Watermelon) Seed Oil, Kaempferia Galanga Root Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Retinyl Palmitate, Ethyl Oleate, Superoxide Dismutase, Ethyl Linolenate, Ethyl Linoleate, Bambusa Vulgaris Extract, Bromelain, Arachidyl Propionate, Lecithin, Papain, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Fragrance (Parfum).