If there were just one minority of people who knew how to expertly shop online it would have to be bloggers. And if we were to narrow it down further, fashion and beauty bloggers would definitely be the most savvy shoppers of them all. As we prepare for the Boxing Day sales and New Year shopping madness I asked my fellow beauty bloggers from the Beauty Blog Coalition to provide their best tips for online shopping.
Bookmark this post, write a to-do list and prepare yourself because you will never shop online the same way again. But before we get into the tips from the other fabulous bloggers, let me share some of my own:
- Keep an eye on our Sales & Offers page. We post any sales, coupon codes and discount offers we think you should know about. For the big sale periods such as Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Boxing Day, etc we post a comprehensive list of all the best offers.
- Sign-up for reward programs. It can be annoying receiving lots of emails but some programs really do reward you. I recommend Sephora Beauty Insider, where you earn points for every dollar you spend which can be traded for perks.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. We share sales & discount alerts direct from stores and brands as they are available so you will always be ahead of the pack. If you haven’t already, make sure when you LIKE us on Facebook you also select “Get Notifications” otherwise you will miss the updates.
- Utilise the Wish List/Save For Later features offered on most shopping sites, i.e. ASOS and Shopbop, to keep tabs on items you want but can’t buy straight away. You can keep an eye on them for when a sale or offer comes up, and you can share the list with friends should they wish to buy you something.
- Bookmark our Online Shopping page for all the best places to shop online. For selected retailers we also keep a running boutique of our favourite buys.
- Sign-up for Like To Know It. You may have seen the #liketkit tag popping up in some of my Instagram’s but what you need to know is that this is a magic secret weapon in online shopping. Once you have signed up to Like To Know It, simply liking a photo containing that tag will email you a list of the products mentioned/used. Forget commenting with “where did you get that?” and “How much does that cost?” – now all you have to do is LIKE the image and the details will be sent straight to your inbox!
- Study our most popular online shopping posts, including 11 Online Beauty Stores You Need To Know and USA Department Stores International Shipping, to know where to shop for certain brands, international shipping and acceptable payment options.
Ashley at Big Time Beauty – “The Target Cartwheel App is awesome! You can stack Target Coupons, Manufacturers Coupons and Cartwheel savings to save extra cash on drugstore brands or even Target’s higher end brands.”
Miranda at Slashed Beauty – “Always sign up for newsletters of the store ahead of time, they usually offer a one time discount for new sign ups, plus you’ll always be notified if there are any good deals in the future!”
Justina at Justina’s Gems – “I always check Temptalia‘s site for a rating before purchasing if I can’t wait until it hits Sephora. I love her dupe list too…sometimes I find out that I already have similar colors so I don’t really need the item!”
Angela from Lipgloss Break – “Make sure to search Google for brand name + ‘coupon codes’ before checkout, you’ll usually find a promo code you can use.”
Kath from TheFabZilla – “I read other blogs and consumer feedback before making a purchase. I also have apps installed on my phone so I can do mobile shopping!”
Meghan from Will Paint Nails For Food – “I buy a lot of nail polish online. Even though a polish might look good in the bottle doesn’t mean that it will look good on you. Make sure to always look online for swatches before buying. And try to look at swatches from several bloggers, sometimes the nicest pictures aren’t always the most accurate photos. Plus, when shopping from smaller retailers and independent sellers (in the case of indie cosmetics and polish) check their Facebook pages and Instagram accounts for any recent coupon codes or deals. Many small businesses use social media exclusively for their advertising.”
Christina at Inspirations and Celebrations – “Make sure to check each site’s “deal” page if they have one. For example, Macy’s has a devoted page that features their current coupon codes and special offers, which makes it easier than trying to spend time searching the internet for it.”
Do you have any questions or concerns about online shopping? Do you have your own online shopping tip to share? Let me know by commenting below!