A dedicated face sunscreen is an essential skincare product for use all year round. Most people try to get away with just applying sunscreen in summer but the fact is that the sun beams harmful UVA and UVB rays 365 days each year. The only way to protect your face properly is with a high-protection sunscreen. You want one that has a minimum SPF 50 for broad spectrum UVA+UVB protection, which most skincare and cosmetic products do not. Using a dedicated sunscreen will give you the highest, most efficient armour against sun damage but you still need to find one that you like. I’ve been using Ella Bache’s Great 50+ Facesaver Active since I went to Bali. It has been trialled through Spring, Summer and Autumn. This could be my most tested sunscreen to date.
- The small green tube stands out from most sunscreen. It’s bright and makes it easily visible in your morning regime. There is no mistaking this one for other skincare brands or products.
- A small hole at the top is covered with a flip top lid. Despite all the travel this 50ml tube has been through it has never once spilled, burst or over flowed. I find this interesting because the lid doesn’t feel particularly secure and I really put it through the wringer.
- It isn’t labelled or marketed as a tinted cream but upon squeezing some product out you can visibly see that the cream resembles a skin-tone colour. One of the most common excuses for people not applying sunscreen to their face is that they don’t like the white, ghostly mask it can leave behind. I feel this sunscreen addresses that concern head-on because there is absolutely no white shadow. Beneath my dollop swatch I rubbed in the product – as you can see, it’s invisible.
- Upon application the cream feels thick but it smooths over the skin easily. It’s a much more user-friendly take on a sports sunscreen formula, but it does still resemble that thicker consistency.
- It leaves a noticeable sheen on the skin. I personally don’t like this for day to day use, even though I like a dewy complexion, because it looks more oily than dewy after a few hours of activity. It doesn’t feel oily (majority of the time), it just looks it on my skin.
- In extreme heat (I’m talking Bali’s 45°C 100% humidity weather) it held up well despite feeling oily it became mixed with sweat. It isn’t a waterproof formula (like most sunscreen) so reapplication is always recommended but I could still very much feel the physical sunscreen on my skin despite the huge amount of sweating I put it through. I believe this is important for an active sunscreen because most people would be using it for exercise or sport, or in my case lying by a pool in sweltering heat.
- I liked it best during cooler weather because it stuck to my skin well. This was mostly important for when I was wearing makeup over the top. Applying makeup was no issue but on warm days the the sunscreen made my makeup run quicker than it usually would. I did not experience this in cooler weather.
- You only need an amount equivalent to two peas to cover your face and an additional pea or two for your neck. That’s a small amount by my standards and it means the product will last you at least a month if you use it once per day.
What Ella Bache say ….
Ella Bache Great 50+ Facesaver Active combines UVA and UVB broad-spectrum SPF 50+ protection with enriching super-fruit oils, pomegranate, cranberry, grapeseed, shea butter, jojoba and lanolin. The formula will help to moisturise the skin and protect it from the dehydrating effects of the sun. It is formulated for long sun exposure on a daily basis.
Australia $44 from Ella Bache salons and David Jones
Do you use a dedicated face sunscreen? Do you protect yourself year round? Let me know by commenting below!
The following statement was provided by a representative of Ella Bache:
“Ella Baché products, which have been manufactured in France for over 60 years and in Australia for 20 years, are not tested on animals by Ella Baché, nor on our behalf by any independent laboratories.
Products we manufacture do not contain any animal derivative ingredients.
Our company is the proud holder of the ‘Personal Care with Principle Award’ presented by the National Anti-Vivisection Society.
The citation reads, “To Ella Baché Inc., for its compassion for animals and dedication to the public by offering credible answers for a cruelty-free world.”
Active Ingredients: Octyl Methoxycinnamate 5%, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate 5%, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane 5%, 4-Methylbenzylidene Camphor 4%, Phenylbenzimidazole Sulfonic ACID 3.96%, Octocrylene 3%. CONTAINS: Phenoxyethanol.
|Lanolin||Protects the skin’s natural barrier and prevents moisture loss|
|Sodium PCA||Amino acid derivative with superior moisture-binding capabilities that helps prevent moisture loss|
|Jojoba Oil||Heals, reinforces epidermal function and restores clarity|
|Shea Butter||Anti-inflammatory, restores skin elasticity and softens skin. Moisturises and protects by preventing moisture loss. Also improves the appearance of dry, dehydrated skin|
|Organic UV Absorbers||Provides very high SPF protection and balanced UVA and UVB protection|
|Super-fruit Antioxidants||Pomegranate, Cranberry and Grape Seed oils plus Green Tea and Vitamin E. Concentrated, powerful antioxidants to protect cells from UV induced free radicals.|