Just because the weather has warmed up doesn’t mean I can afford to stop using hand cream. Keeping my nails healthy and my hands soft is easy if I stick to regular hand cream use but in the warmer months I look for something light that hydrates quickly without any residue left behind. The new Rosehip by Essano hand cream uses their key ingredient, certified organic rosehip, as the miracle cure along with shea butter and jojoba oil. Will it be right a summer essential? My review tells the story.
- Packaged in a dusty pink, soft plastic tube it holds 120ml / 4.0578 oz of product. The bold packaging reflects the rest of the Rosehip by Essano line and stands out on the shelves. The colour isn’t my cup of tea but if you like girly looking packaging this ticks the box.
- The tube is fitted with a black cap that acts as the base, and clicks closed but pops open without much effort. I threw it in my bag a few times and occasionally I would find it with the lid flap open but luckily no product was every squeezed out while in my bag. Phew!
- A little squeeze of the tube delivers a medium-thickness white cream. It’s not hard or too dense that squeezing requires effort, but it’s not runny like a lotion either.
- As soon as I start to rub my hands together the fragrance of the product is released. In my opinion it’s a strong rose scent which I don’t love but it doesn’t linger very long so I seem to forget about it after a couple of minutes. I have been known in the past to have a reaction to synthetic rose fragrances and sometimes even straight from the rose itself. The fragrances used in Essano products are certified organic so at least I know there aren’t any additional irritants and during my trial of the product I didn’t have any allergy flare-ups.
- I don’t know if it is just me but when I start to rub in the hand cream it almost feels like it gets slightly thicker than when it came out of the tube. It’s noticeably denser and takes a bit of massage to get it evenly over my hands. For this reason I find using it at night was fine but during the day I got too impatient to rub it in properly.
- After use my hands do feel much smoother but it’s like they have a coating on them. I knew long before looking at the actual ingredients that the product contained lanolin because of the way my hands felt. It’s a soft, waxy feeling and I always think I’m going to leave oil stains on things I touch but never do. I personally dislike this feeling during the day but at night I don’t mind because I’m asleep and obviously don’t touch things to notice it.
- With continued use my hands did feel softer and stay hydrated. It didn’t appear to have any affect on my nails, and it doesn’t claim to, but in my experience hand creams do generally impact the health of nails as well so I’m not sure what to put that down to.
- I love that all Rosehip by Essano products contain no parabens, harsh chemicals, sulphates, phthalates or petrochemicals. On the downside, many of their products are labelled vegan when in fact they aren’t, including this one! This hand cream has their own vegan logo but it contains lanolin, which comes from sheep and cera alba (beeswax) which the company states is actually synthetic beeswax that’s been mislabelled. At best I would say this product is vegetarian.
What Essano say ….
Only the ‘essence of nature’ feeds your hands the nourishment they need to overcome the drying effects of daily life, for younger looking, beautifully supple hands. Certified organic Rosehip Oil works with active natural botanical ingredients; Shea Butter and Jojoba to intensively hydrate and lock in moisture.
Australia $14.99 from Priceline and selected Woolworths
Have you tried Rosehip by Essano? Do you use hand cream? Let me know by commenting below!
Essano claims to not test on animals but are not certified by any cruelty-free organisation. The following statement appears on the Essano FAQ webpage:
Q. Are Rosehip by essano products tested on animals?
A. No, of course not. That would be cruel. We only test our products on lucky ladies!
Some products are mislabelled as vegan so you must check the ingredients of each product.
Water (Aqua), Aloe Barbadenis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice*, G;ycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Glucoside (and) Sorbitan Olivate, Coco-caprylate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Cetearyl Glucoside, Lanolin Wax, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Phenethyl Alcohol, Cera Alba, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters, Fragrance, Xanthan Gum, Rose Canina (Rosehip) Fruit Oil*, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Potassium Sorbate, Lactic Acid.