If you missed last Tuesday’s post about serums, you would have missed me ranting and raving about how important serums are. You definitely should have at least 1 serum as part of your daily skin routine if you are wanting to improve your skin or prevent ageing. Over the weekend (although you may have seen it sneaking up earlier last week) Estée Lauder officially released their newest serum, Idealist Even Skintone Illuminator into Australia.
From the things Estée Lauder are saying about this new product, it would seem it is less a preventative product and more of a repair product. I am glad Estée Lauder has been honest about this products powers. It is far more realistic to believe that a serum could help repair lacklustre skin tone rather than prevent it from going dull in the future. I think we all know by now that the key to preventing bad skin tone (as well as many other things) is using a good sunscreen with broad spectrum SPF protection.
A faint iridescent sheen can be seen in artificial light
What I Say ….
- The packaging is typical Estée Lauder. Classy, not too fancy, pretty and simple.
- It comes with a pump pack spout, which is normal for a serum due to the consistency.
- Speaking of consistency, the formula is quite creamy at first look but as you start to rub it into your skin it thins out to a more typical serum feel.
- I love that the serum has an iridescent glow. When it comes out of the bottle it is extremely noticeable but once it is absorbed into my skin I look a little more healthy and radiant.
- The texture it leaves your skin once absorbed is reminiscent of a makeup primer with polymer. If you have tried any pore-refining primers, such as Benefit ‘The POREfessional’, you will know that silky slightly powdery feel.
- The serum does absorb quite quickly, at least with my dry skin, but the silky feeling can be confusing because I wasn’t sure if it was really absorbed or not. To be safe I would advise people to leave 10 minutes before applying your moisturiser.
After 4 weeks, my standard testing duration, I found my skin had no change in luminosity, but I feel there is a good reason for that. As you know I do have a pretty heavy skincare regime already, which has had amazing results. Skintone used to be a huge concern for me but now it is one of those things I only notice on a bad day (no sleep, hungover, jet lag, etc). I think it would be really tough for any product to improve something that is already at it’s peak. That is my opinion and I could be totally wrong. I just feel my skintone is already quite even, but check out these photos and tell me what you think.
You can see the ‘glow’ a bit better in natural light
What Estée Lauder Say ….
Estée Lauder Idealist Even Skintone Illuminator is an intensive yet gentle oil-free serum with Triple-Optic Technology to instantly illuminate skin for immediate radiance. The serum features exclusive CorrecTone Technology, a comprehensive triple-action complex compromised of highly effective, anti-spot ingredients, powerful antioxidants and soothing anti-irritants to address the signs of an uneven skintone. All skin can be fresh and radiant and appear clear, even-toned and luminous. Ingredients included rice bran extract, vitamin E, licorice and gentian.
Available in 30ml and 50ml bottles.
AU $105 / $150 rrp from Estée Lauder, Myer, David Jones, Terry White and selected pharmacies
US $58 / $85 rrp from Estée Lauder, Bergdorf Goodman, Bloomingdale’s, Macy’s, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Ave and selected department stores.
UK £46 / £62 rrp from Estée Lauder, Harrods, Boots, Selfridges, Fenwick, Harvey Nichols and selected department stores.
All images are the property of The Plastic Diaries, excluding press release images. Use of these images without written consent is prohibited. If you wish to use them please contact me to request permission. Images are taken in natural light and remain unedited, unless otherwise stated.
This product was provided for consideration, in accordance with our Disclosure Policy. All opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are my own and remain 100% uninfluenced.