One of my long-time favourite Australian brands is Face of Australia. I’ve been using their products for years and they used to be a strong, reliable producer of certified cruelty-free cosmetic products. However, things have changed dramatically in the past couple years and it has saddened me. They ditched the cruelty-free certification (which makes their status a mystery as you are purely taking them on their word), promotion of new releases has been silent and their website is in desperate need of a makeover. Despite my own little pet peeves I feel going on, I can’t help but been drawn to their products when I do see them. For that reason, I will continue to review their cosmetics for now.
One of their more recent releases were an updated line of Tinted Moisturisers, now with SPF50+ as opposed to their earlier SPF30+ product. I’m not keen on tinted moisturisers generally because the tints are usually too dark for my skin or they appear muddy. I wanted to try the Face of Australia Tinted Moisturiser anyway as the appeal of an SPF50 was strong for me. Would this one be any different? Could this be the tinted moisturiser game changer?
- The white and pink packaging drew me in instantly. The plastic tube is fitted with a flip-open cap which opens to reveal a small spout. Then plastic is easy to squeeze so the product dispenses really easily. The first few times I over-dispensed but once I got familiar with how much product I needed to cover my face and neck I was able to get more controlled with how much to squeeze out. The lid does unfortunately get quite messy and I don’t know how – I’m OCD about dispensing product and not leaving any behind on the cap or spout. It’s a mystery!
- The pink colour printing on the tube does fade and transfer a bit after use. As you will see from my photos below comparing a new tube to a used one, the pink becomes more neon. It’s not a huge problem but it does look messy.
- There are three shades to choose from – Light, Medium and Dark. I have the Light shade which appears to be quite warm against my cool skin tone. A pinky, beige base becomes more evident as it dries.
- The tint is quite dense and it surprised me just how well it covered my skin. The shade isn’t perfect for me but it does a great job each day to give me a bit of colour. This is one of the most well tinted moisturisers I’ve ever used and it doesn’t blend to transparent like others.
- It applies smoothly and easily. The formula resembles more of a lotion than a cream. For this reason I find it’s easy to cover the skin and rub in, and it dries quite quickly. It’s layerable to a point. I can usually get away with two layers on freshly cleansed skin before it starts to pill.
- On the skin it wears nicely. Worn alone the even colour lasts me about 3 hrs but overall there is still some colour remaining when I remove it, 6-8+ hrs later. It can be worn under makeup but I’ve found that buffing in my liquid foundations (my preferred application method) did cause some pilling on occasion so I prefer to use this as a standalone product for when I just want a little bit of colour and care more about the sun protection.
- My skin does remain hydrated with this product. Depending on the weather it holds up quite well for the entire day. On the odd occasion of humid, stuffy weather it has left my nose a little bit oiler but that is honestly to be expected with most products in those conditions. It hasn’t caused me any breakouts though so it’s a win there.
- Overall the product is really comfortable to wear. I always forget that I have it on and that’s what I want from a moisturiser/tinted moisturiser. It keeps my skin soft, hydrated and protected from the sun.
- There is a slight fragrance that can be smelt from the tube and during application but it dissipates almost as quickly as it dries. In my opinion it’s a slightly synthetic, soft, fresh floral scent.
What Face of Australia says ….
FACE OF AUSTRALIA Tinted Moisturiser SPF 50+ protects your skin and adds a hint of colour with all day hydration.
The lightweight formula gives you a healthy ‘no make-up’ look that evens out your skin tone and enhances your complexion. It helps to restore your skin’s moisture balance while providing an even colour and sheer coverage. SPF 50+ provides very high protection against the sun’s damaging and ageing UV rays, this formula reduces the effects of sun damage whilst giving you glowing, radiant skin.
The non-greasy formula glides onto skin and is easy to apply. It can be worn under make-up or alone for a light, natural look. Available in 3 shades to suit any skin tone. Suitable for sensitive skin.
USA & UK – Unavailable at time of publishing. Available for purchase from Makeup Express.
Do you use tinted moisturiser? Have you tried any Face of Australia products? Let us know by commenting below!
Cruelty-free Certification/s: No (NOTE: Their company statement mentions their support of CCF but Face of Australia are in fact NOT certified by them as cruelty-free).
Company Statement: “We are 100% against animal testing and support Choose Cruelty Free.”
Palm Oil-free: No
Currently unknown. Face of Australia does not publish this information on their website. Printing on the packaging is illegible.