I have been pretty stressed the past few weeks and it’s manifested in the form of blind pimples. In my opinion they are the worst kind of pimples. They sit beneath the surface, building pressure and there isn’t a head on them for you to burst. Mine generally form on my forehead or around my scalp line, which leaves me with a killer headache when the pressure is building up.
My mother believes the answer to all pimples is Methylated Spirits (aka Metho) to dry out the gunk. Personally, I don’t love the idea of putting something so astringent on a blind pimple because it has to travel through the skin, as opposed to a regular pimple that has a head. I figured it was about time to check with an expert what the best method was to eradicate them. Trilogy have just launched their new Blemish Control Gel so I took the opportunity to ask Trilogy’s in-house beauty expert, Corinne Morley, what exactly are blind pimples and how I can get rid of mine.
What causes some pimples to remain beneath the surface, never producing a head?
Breakouts are usually a result of overproduction of sebum, caused by hypersensitivity or hormonal imbalance or change. Stress is another factor which can cause your sebaceous glands to get carried away, resulting in breakouts in times of acute stress. Excess sebum and skin cells can clog the follicles and when that happens bacteria begins to grow inside the follicles resulting in a swelling underneath the skin.
Pimples that stay under the skin’s surface are also known as ‘blind spots’ and usually show as red inflamed bumps that, thankfully, are not as visible as they might feel to the victim! Often the redness is combined with a shiny and taut look and the area can be tender to touch, even producing a hot throbbing sensation. Unlike spots that have an obvious pustule head, picking or trying to squeeze blind spots is a definite no as can cause further inflammation and scarring.
How do we get rid of blind pimples?
Prevention and aiding skin recovery is the key approach (patience will help too!)
- Adopt a gentle cleansing routine. It is important to keep blemish-prone areas clean. If your cleanser is too harsh, it will disrupt the skin’s protective mantle, leading to a vicious cycle of oil overproduction and uncomfortable surface tautness. The right balance and blend of natural oils in your skincare is not only beneficial, it’s essential for a healthy, balanced complexion. Look for a cleanser with a blend of pure plant oils and calming natural actives to help your skin re-balance itself.
- Target problematic areas with effective spot treatments that provide an antibacterial action and reduce inflammation. For red painful bumps just starting to form, treat over night by applying a generous amount of spot treatment after cleansing (and nothing else) to the problematic area. There’s a good chance you’ll stop it in its tracks or at the very least reduce the intensity.
- If the area is particularly sore, cold compresses can help relieve inflammation and swelling. Applying concealer will help disguise the redness and drinking lots of water does help your skin to self-cleanse.
- If sensitivity or irritation is causing the problem, try a serum designed to soothe and comfort the skin.
- While trying to squeeze blind spots can result in a big, painful mess they will usually make their way to the surface of the skin and eventually form a head, making it easier to extract. If you must, here’s a guide on how to do it!
- Soak a facecloth or cotton wool pad in medium hot water and then squeeze so almost dry. Press on the pimple for 2-3 minutes to help ‘draw’ to the surface. Repeat if needed
- Wrap tissue or cotton pad around each of your index fingers. Put a finger on each side of the whitehead and carefully using rolling movement press on the sides to encourage the head to pop. Repeat the same motion from a few different spots to share the pressure. Be patient and don’t use pressure from your nails.
- Ensure all the bacteria has been removed by applying a spot treatment.
Trilogy Balancing Gel Cleanser
Invigorate, refresh and rebalance your complexion with this silky, soap-free, wash-off cleanser. Perfect for younger or combination/oily skin types, it helps balance and tone for super clean skin.
USA $37 from Beautorium
UK £22.50 from Boots and Look Fantastic
Trilogy Blemish Control Gel
Salicylic acid effectively targets and decongests pimples. Antibacterial lemongrass and mandarin help control breakouts, ginger reduces inflammation and rosehip aids repair.
USA $24 from Beautorium
UK £12.50 from Feel Unique
Trilogy Very Gentle Calming Serum
Soothe the weakened skin barrier and calm fragile, irritated or intolerant skin with this extremely gentle rescue serum. Providing light and effective hydration, it restores balance and delivers peace and comfort while helping fine lines and wrinkles appear visibly smoother.
Fragrance free, essential oil free and dermatologically tested. You’re in safe hands.
USA $42 from Beautorium
UK £28.50 from Look Fantastic
Have you ever had a blind pimple? Do you have any tips for treating pimples? Let me know by commenting below!
Trilogy are an accredited cruelty-free company by Choose Cruelty Free (CCF) and some of their products suitable for vegans, refer to individual product ingredients.