Brown eyeliner is one of my essential day-to-day makeup items. Having fair, olive skin, green/hazel eyes and brown hair means I can get away with most coloured eyeliners but I prefer a dark brown worn along my top lash line to give my lashes a thicker, fuller look. During the day I like a pencil eyeliner that has lots of pigment, in a creamy formula that can be smudged before it sets in place. L’Oreal Paris’ Colour Riche Le Smokey is one of the brands best selling eyeliners so I put it to the test to see if it can meet my needs.
This eyeliner comes in a variety of colours including black, grey, violet and the one I’m reviewing for you, 204 Brown Fusion.
- The pencil is a little thicker than a regular lead pencil and has a round shape so this makes it easy for my thin, lady fingers to hold and control. At one end is the pencil and at the other is a smudger. Both ends come with transparent, slide-on lids that can be interchanged (fits either end).
- It measures just over 13.5cm in length and roughly 9cm of that is pencil. I’ve been using this pencil daily for months and I’ve barely used 3cm’s of it. It has a very generous amount of product and I think even if I continue using this product once daily I wouldn’t finish it within 12months.
- The pencil formula is firm but creamy. It transfers the pigment to my skin easily, without any pressure. It’s not waxy and I don’t have to continually draw over the same spot to get a deeper level of colour. One swipe is all I need.
- I would call this a dark brown hue, much like dark chocolate. It’s not black with a brown tinge. This is definitely suited for someone like me who has dark brown lashes but it could easily work for all shades of skin tone depending on the look you’re trying to achieve. If you use brown liner as I do, to make your lashes look thicker, this eyeliner does the job.
- At the opposite end the smudger is made from a soft rubbery-foam material, shaped into a dome-like point. It’s gentle to use on the delicate eye skin and effectively smudges the liner smoothly.
- I found the liner takes about 20-30 seconds before it starts setting so that gives me more than enough time to smudge it where I need to. Once it’s set I’ve found very little movement occurs unless it gets wet. When I cry (yes, I cry a lot. I find every movie ever makes me cry) it does run to my lower lash line but it has never run past that. It does a pretty good job holding up against ugly crying (darn you, The Vampire Diaries!)
- When it does come time to removing the liner properly, I’ve had equal success with oil and oil-free makeup removers. It’s easily removed by holding the makeup remover on your eyelid for a few seconds and then GENTLY wiping downwards. You should never rub your eyeliner off. Ever.
What L’Oréal Paris say ….
L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Le Smokey Pencil Eyeliner is creamy, easy to use and available in a range of bright colours. The liner is suitable for creating smokey eye looks. It is ideal for blending deep shades, or can be used to line and define the eyes for a subtle or dramatic smokey effect. Available in Black Velour, Mystic Grey, Brown Fusion, Stormy Sea and Antique Green. The liner is smudge-resistant, fade-resistant and crease-resistant. It is ophthalmologist-tested and suitable for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers.
Australia $22.95 from Priceline, pharmacies, department stores and variety stores.
USA $8.95 from Walgreens and drugstores
UK £4.99 from Boots and Feel Unique
Do you use pencil eyeliners? What’s your favourite day-to-day liner colour? Let me know by commenting below!
According to PETA.org, L’Oréal do test on animals. Click through to read L’Oréal’s stance on animal testing.
G786952 – INGREDIENTS: HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE, SYNTHETIC WAX, ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE, POLYMETHYL METHACRYLATE, COPERNICIA CERIFERA CERA / CARNAUBA WAX, RHUS SUCCEDANEA FRUIT CERA / RHUS SUCCEDANEA FRUIT WAX, BEHENYL DIMETHICONE/BIS-VINYLDIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL, OZOKERITE , POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE, CETYL DIMETHICONE/BIS-VINYLDIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, POLYETHYLENE, CALCIUM SODIUM BOROSILICATE, LECITHIN, SILICA, TOCOPHEROL, ASCORBYL PALMITATE, CITRIC ACID, TIN OXIDE, [+/- MAY CONTAIN: CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / IRON OXIDES, MICA, CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE, CI 77007 / ULTRAMARINES, CI 75470 / CARMINE, CI 77510 / FERRIC AMMONIUM FERROCYANIDE, CI 77400 / COPPER POWDER, CI 77510 / FERRIC FERROCYANIDE, CI 77000 / ALUMINUM POWDER] FIL B53008/1.