What if the foundation you apply everyday could also assist in improving your skin? It sounds too good to be true but Maybelline’s new SuperStay Better Skin Foundation says it can do that. I’ve tested it out and have a review to share, as well as the mandatory before and after photos. Will this foundation become my new long-wear holy grail? Read on to find out!
- A glass bottle is fitted with a blue pump and a transparent cap. A single pump distributes a good amount of product but I required 2 pumps worth to cover my entire face.
- The 9 shades in the range seem to cover a wide variety of light to medium skin tones. I’m usually the second lightest in a shade range (or the lightest neutral shade) but I found it really difficult to find a colour that suited me. I’ve taken a photo of me trying to colour match myself with the three lightest shades in the range – 005 Light Beige, 010 Ivory and 020 Cameo. 005 is obviously too light, 010 appears too dark but the right undertones, and 020 appears lighter than 010 but very yellow. For trial purposes I stuck to 010 because that’s the colour I would have purchased from the store. The colour isn’t disastrous but it’s not perfect (see photos below).
- I found the thick, creamy formula a little too thick to move with my hands but a foundation brush was suitable and a damp sponge was even better. Generally I use a foundation brush so I stuck with that for my photos. I didn’t leave a streaky finish, it was just a little more difficult than the sponge to get an even application.
- It’s medium to full coverage in just one application and you can easily do another layer without it looking cakey. Beyond that it started to get streaky.
- I didn’t need to apply a powder on top of this but if you have an oily complexion I would recommend powdering as you need it. I got through a full day of wear without oil and shine.
- It’s a foundation you can feel on the skin so if you prefer a “barely there” feeling this one would probably be too heavy.
- Day after day I got a minimum of 8 hours wear. It held up beautifully without the use of primer and there was minimal transfer which is usually how most of my makeup disappeared throughout the course of a day.
- Unfortunately I didn’t see any improvement in my skin quality after 3 weeks of use, as per the claims. This could be for any number of reasons, as it also could have been if I did see any improvement. My skin is particularly bad at the moment and I’m suffering from more stress breakouts than I’ve ever had in my life so it doesn’t surprise me that this foundation wasn’t able to improve that.
What Maybelline NY say ….
Our 1st vitamin enriched longwear foundation with Actyl-C. For Flawless coverage now, smoother, more even skin in 3 weeks
Why You’ll Love It
ACTYL-C FORMULA – improves skin’s appearance after 3 weeks leaving it feel energised and looking healthier.
ALL-DAY WEAR – Longwear formula ensures your foundation lasts all day
- Flawless coverage
- Hydrates & smoothes skin
- Evens skin tone
- Reduces redness
- SPF 14
Australia $21.95 from Priceline
USA – Unavailable at the time of publishing. Available to purchase from ASOS
UK £8.99 from Boots
Have you tried a skin-improving foundation? Would you try this Maybelline foundation? Let me know by commenting below!
According to PETA.org, Maybelline New York (parent company L’Oreal) do test on animals. Click through to read L’Oreal’s stance on animal testing.
G853121 INGREDIENTS: AQUA / WATER, DIMETHICONE, ISODODECANE, POLYPROPYLSILSESQUIOXANE, C30-45 ALKYLDIMETHYLSILYL POLYPROPYLSILSESQUIOXANE, SILICA, GLYCERIN, PEG-10 DIMETHICONE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, DIMETHICONE/POLYGLYCERIN-3 CROSSPOLYMER, SODIUM CHLORIDE, NYLON-12, PHENOXYETHANOL, 3-O-ETHYL ASCORBIC ACID, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, PANTHENOL, DISODIUM STEAROYL GLUTAMATE, SODIUM DEHYDROACETATE, DISODIUM EDTA, ACRYLONITRILE/METHYL METHACRYLATE/VINYLIDENE CHLORIDE COPOLYMER, ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE, DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL, ZINC GLUCONATE, MAGNESIUM ASPARTATE, PARAFFIN, COPPER GLUCONATE [+/- MAY CONTAIN: CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / IRON OXIDES]. F.I.L Code D161753/3