Mineral makeup has come a long way over the past few years. If you like the “good for you” benefits of mineral makeup you no longer have to be restricted to a tub of powder and a buffing brush. Liquids are just as common in mineral makeup now and you can get a variety of finishes to suit your needs.
Mineralogie is a cruelty-free USA brand that prides itself on showing off how versatile mineral makeup can be. In my search for some new vegan foundations I was led to Liquid Hydration Sheer Tint. The question this review answers is whether a liquid mineral makeup, free from fillers and nasties, can actually perform to the standard of a chemical laden version.
- I love the packaging of this product. Not quite a squeeze tube, not quite a bottle – the tube body is fitted with a pump spout so it has all the convenience of a bottle but it’s lightweight and travel-friendly.
- As it expels from the tube, the formula resembles a thick mousse/cream but as you apply it air that may have come out when pumping is release and the formula is a denser cream. I found it to be too thick to apply directly with my hands to ensure I get an even coverage so I found a brush or sponge was the best tool for this product. My preference was a foundation brush.
- At first the formula appears to give minimal coverage – slightly more than a tinted moisturiser but not as heavy as a traditional BB Cream. Once the foundation had set the coverage was far more noticeable, aligning perfectly with the sheer coverage I would expect from other foundations in the same category. Skin tone was evened and the tiniest of flaws covered but still left the majority of my skin characteristics visible.
- This foundation is neither matte or luminous, in my opinion. It allows the natural luminosity of my skin to shine through and light bounces off the skin at all the right points because it isn’t too heavily masked.
- My skin did not breakout, build up extra oil or feel uncomfortable through trialling this product. I found it comfortable to wear and it was a great option for weekends and casual outings that I didn’t want to look “too done up” for. It is the perfect coverage for those days I feel naked if I don’t put anything on my skin.
- I am wearing shade Cashmere
What Mineralogie say …
Liquid Hydration Sheer Tint allows the natural health and glow of skin to shine through! It is formulated with natural ingredients that add hydration to the skin without adding oil. Perfect for normal to dry and mature skin. For translucent coverage apply by itself, or take it a step further by layering with our Loose Mineral Foundation for a more finished look. If it is complete coverage you are looking for, pair with our Pressed Mineral Foundation. Coverage: Sheer. Finish: Luminous
Australia $59 from Mineralogie
USA $35 from Mineralogie
UK £30 at Face the Future
Mineralogie’s own claim is that they do not test on animals, however they do not appear on any official cruelty-free list. Their statement is provided on their Eco-Friendly Philosophy page.
Some products by Mineralogie are suitable for vegans and vegetarians. Refer to the individual ingredient listing before purchasing.
Aqua (water), Simmondsia Chinensis (jojoba) Seed Oil, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Glycerin, Cetearyl Glucoside, Cetearyl Alcohol, Boron Nitride, Glyceryl Stearate, Hydrafirm (homeostatine), Zea Mays (corn) Starch, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (sweet almond) Oil, Squalane, Glucuronolactone, Cassia Angustifolia (senna) Extract, Benzyl Alcohol, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Hyaluronate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fructooligosaccharides, Essential Oils +/-: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Chromium Oxide Green (CI 77288)