I’m really lazy when it comes to removing my makeup so I look for products that require minimum effort. Usually a pack of makeup remover wipes or facial cleansing towelettes is the answer but it struck me recently that perhaps those items aren’t the most economical solution. A whole bottle of makeup removing liquid, in partnership with some cotton pads, could probably save me a fair bit of money. This is the path I’ve now started on, finding the best makeup removing solution to take off ALL my makeup, not just eye makeup.
I’ve been trialling the NARS Makeup Removing Water which is a luxe option on the scale of makeup removers. Does the extra pennies get you a better clean? My review tells you.
- The square, clear transparent plastic bottle looks simple but classy. It’s printed with NARS signature black font and has a black screw lip. The PET bottle is high grade and it’s not until you touch it that you realise it’s not glass.
- Beneath the lid is a standard capped whole with a small opening for the liquid to drip through. To get a good flow of product you need to tip the bottle on its side, if you completely invert it only a few drops will dispense occasionally. Essentially this is a positive because it means if you do knock it over very little product will come out before you can pick it up again, but it does mean if you’re in a rush or generally impatient (I’m the latter) you need to shake it a couple times to get the amount of product you desire.
- The formula really does look like water, but when you move it small bubbles form and float to the top like a detergent solution.
- It flows onto a cotton pad easily and soaks in much like water but it has a slightly oilier feel than water when you rub it between your fingers. It’s an oil-free remover so I’m not sure which ingredient is giving this feeling but it does disappear quickly.
- For eye makeup I find I need 2 well-soaked cotton pads to remove majority of my eye makeup. It doesn’t do particularly well on waterproof mascara because I find myself needing yet another set of pads to try get the rest of that off.
- For the face I needed about 2-3 well-soaked pads to remove my standard full-face of makeup. Most of the time this still wasn’t enough to leave me feeling completely clear of makeup so I would need to clean my face with a dedicated cleanser. You should do this anyway because no makeup remover is really enough to cleanse your skin properly as well as remove your makeup.
- The remover doesn’t leave a residue on my skin. It feels cleansed but not dry, nor oily.
- There is a slight fragrance that you can smell while using the product. It reminds me of cucumber toner but a little more floral. The scent fades pretty quickly which is a positive in my opinion.
What NARS say ….
A soap-free, oil-free, and alcohol-free water that removes face makeup and tones the skin. It gently, yet thoroughly sweeps makeup away without rubbing while soothing botanical ingredients hydrate and add radiance. The result: purified and toned skin.
Australia $45 from Mecca Cosmetica
UK £19.50 from Space NK
Which products do you use to remove your makeup? Have you tried any NARS skincare products? Let me know by commenting below!
NARS own claim is that they do not test on animals however their parent company, Shiseido, does. NARS are not certified cruelty-free by any authoritative body. The following statement appears on their website:
NARS does not test on animals, nor do we have any other parties, such as suppliers, conduct any animal testing on our behalf. NARS uses only the highest quality ingredients which have a proven safety record and are widely used in the cosmetics industry.
NARS products do contain animal ingredients. The following statement appears on their website:
We are continually evaluating alternatives to animal-derived ingredients and have replaced many ingredients with vegetable derived substitutes. However, certain NARS products may contain animal derivatives, such as lanolin. If you would like further information as to which NARS products contain animal derivatives please contact customer care and we will provide that information.
Water, Butylene Glycol, Peg/Ppg-35/40 Dimethyl Ether, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Trisodium Edta, Cucumis Sativus [Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract], Chamomilla Recutita [Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract], Sodium Hyaluronate.