I have always heard a lot about Sigma but until recently I never actually knew what they were. Turns out they mostly sell make-up brushes but they are a well kept secret. One of those secrets make-up artists keep to themselves. Shame on you!
When I heard about them late last year I took a look at their website and was really impressed with how much product they had on off. I knew I really wanted to buy a proper brush set or kit but I didn’t know where to start. The selection was massive and the prices were so cheap. I ended up bookmarking the page with the intention to come back to it later … but I never did.
Last year when I discovered All Cosmetics Wholesale I saw they also stocked some Sigma brushes, so I picked up a single Eye Shading Brush as part of my haul. Strangely the brush cost more on All Cosmetics Wholesale then it did to buy from Sigma directly, but I already had an order going so I just went with it. Since getting that one Sigma brush my world has changed. I always loved collecting make-up brushes but the quality of this simple eye shader blew me away. I had to have more Sigma!
I went back to the Sigma website and started my browse all over again, but one item really stood out to me, the Make Me Crazy 12 piece brush set in Purple. It had 12 brushes that seemed to cover all the uses I would need, it came in a sturdy case so I could use it when I travel, and it was Purple. Tick. Tick. Tick. One tinsy problem, it was sold out. Untick.
There was no indication if and when it would be coming back into stock. It didn’t say if it was a permanent or limited edition release. I was conflicted. I took a look around the sight and thought about the other colours this kit came in. There was Make Me Classy Black (I am far from classy), Make Me Blush Coral (Nothing makes me blush, I worked at Sexpo for 3 years!) and Make Me Cool Aqua (I am as dorky as one can be), but obviously Make Me Crazy Purple was perfect. I am a complete nutter and purple is my favourite colour. Boooooo!
After much consideration I decided waiting was not an option and I had to buy one of the others. I picked Make Me Cool Aqua because the colour reminded me of Tiffany’s, which happens to be another item I collect.
What Brushes Are In The Kit?
Eyeliner – E05 – An extra-fine tipped synthetic fiber brush that delivers a precise, firm, even stroke to line the eyes.
Pencil – E30 – Precise application of color on the crease, outer corner, and upper and lower lash line. Also ideal to smudge out pencil liner. Natural bristles.
Tapered Blending – E40 – Rounded and tapered top. Specially designed to apply and blend color on the crease. Natural bristles.
Eye Shading – E55 – Soft and dense with a rounded finish. Can be used to apply pressed or loose eye shadows and pigments. Ideal to build intense color on the eyelid. Natural bristles.
Large Shader – E60 – Flat shape is ideal for application of cream formulas and eye shadow primers. It also works great with loose eye shadows or pigments. Can be used to apply color all over the lid or precisely on the lash line. Natural bristles.
Small Angle – E65 – Essential for the application of gel or cream eyeliner on the upper and lower lash line. This brush is also excellent for filling out the eyebrows. Synthetic bristles.
Medium Angled Shading – E70 – Angled, tapered, flat top. Ideal to apply highlight shades underneath the eyebrow and on the inner corners. It can also be used for a precise application of darker shades on the crease area. Natural bristles.
Large Powder – F30 – Very dense with a rounded top. Ideal to apply powder products on face and body. Natural bristles.
Large Angled Contour – F40 – The angled shape makes this brush ideal to apply blush or contour shades. Natural bristles.
Duo Fibre – F50 – Specially designed to generate an ‘airbrushed’ finish when used to apply liquid foundation. It can also be used to apply blush, highlight shades and loose pigments. Blend of synthetic and natural bristles.
Foundation – F60 – Can be used to apply liquid or cream foundation. It is also recommended to apply moisturizers and conceal large areas. Synthetic bristles.
Concealer – F70 – The rounded, tapered, flat shape makes this brush ideal to conceal the under eye area. It is also recommended for a precise application in small areas. Synthetic bristles.
Listing from Sigma Beauty
What I Say ….
- The shipping from Sigma was so quick! It was like I blinked and it was here.
- The set is HUGE. I knew it was 12 brushes in a case, but the official photos make it look travel size. When the case is closed it measures 24cm tall, and the biggest brush, the Large Powder F30 is 21cm tall.
- When I first opened up the brushes there was a strong alcohol smell. I strongly suggest washing new brushes before using them anyway, but in this case definitely because the smell does hit you.
- Every brush is sooooo soft I just can’t help but sweep them across my face.
- They seem to be really well sealed at the base, and I haven’t had a single hair left on my face (ohhh I think that rhymes!).
- The Pencil E30 brush is quickly becoming my favourite. I would have never considered this shape in a brush but I am loving it for applying shadow in my deep eye crease.
- The face brushes come with a plastic protector that can be used over and over again.
- The handles on the brushes are really long which makes controlling application easier and you don’t have to lean your hands on your freshly made-up face.
- The case splits in two. You can use one cup for clean brushes and one cup for dirty. Genius!
- Again with the case. It is as aesthetically pleasing with a leather-look and it is really sturdy. It stands up without wobbling, the press stud closure is of quality so it doesn’t pop open and they have clear Sigma branding on both cups.
- It came with a detailed pamphlet explaining what each brush is for and how to use it (similar to my list above but with pictures).
- Cleaning instructions also provided
- I also got a bonus Duo Fibre Powder/Blush F15 brush for free. I love free!!
I have never been so in love with a set of brushes before. The fact I have 12 (no, 13!) amazing professional brushes and a place to store them, for less than it would cost to by two MAC face brushes in Australia. Having said that, it still won’t stop me from buying more brushes. Some people buy cigarettes, I buy make-up brushes.
Whether your a beginner or a pro, I think you need this kit. Actually, if you are a beginner and want to start using make-up brushes I couldn’t think of a better kit to start with. This is exactly what you need.
What Sigma Says ….
The Sigma Beauty ‘Make Me Up’ Collection was specifically designed for a fun yet functional makeup application. The ‘Make Me Up’ Collection is the ideal combination of high quality makeup brushes and beautiful colours. This kit contains our best-selling Complete Kit with 12 essential brushes in an innovative and functional container. Now you can be fashionable and stylish when creating your favorite looks, while keeping your brushes organized.
Pamper yourself. Get creative. Release your inner makeup artist!
US $99 from Sigma Beauty (International Shipping available)
Also available in the following colours:
All images are the property of The Plastic Diaries, excluding press release images. Use of these images without written consent is prohibited. If you wish to use them please contact me to request permission. Images are taken in natural light and remain unedited, unless otherwise stated.
This product was purchased by me using my own money, in accordance with our Disclosure Policy. All opinions and thoughts expressed in this post are my own and remain 100% uninfluenced.
This post contains an affiliate link, which gives us commission when you click and purchase something from that link. You do not pay any more for the item by shopping through an affiliate link than you would through a regular link.When you shop through an affiliate link on The Plastic Diaries, you help support the site.