Liquid lipsticks are all the rage right now but finding a formula that works for your needs, in colours you like, is half the battle. This year Too Faced released their latest lip colour product, Melted Long Wear Lipstick. There are currently six shades in the range and today I will be showing you three of them – Melted Peony, Melted Fuchsia and Melted Ruby.
My review outlines the pros and cons of the packaging, the formula and the wearability.
- The smooth, matte, plastic squeeze tube is fitted with a screw off lid. It’s packaging you would expect for a lipgloss, which is one reason why Melted is a unique product. A white, furry, doe-foot applicator is fitted at the tip. To get the product out you simply squeeze the tube until you see colour come through the fibres on the applicator.
- A velvety applicator is something you may be used to with a wand in a lipgloss, but this is the first time I’ve seen it used as a permanent fixture on a product. The design is said to allow a smoother, more precise application without wasting product. My experience does reflect that, allowing me to get an even coat of colour with minimal effort.
- I find I can get this product right up to my lip line and control the placement easier, more so than I can with most lipstick bullets, but it takes a little practice to get used to it. I’ve never been good at lining my lips and this product doesn’t change that, but I do a better job with this applicator than with others.
- Naming these “Melted” is spot on. The formula looks exactly the same as if you took a regular lipstick and melted it in a pot (TIP: A great to use up the last little bit of your favourite lipstick is to melt it down, put it in a little jar and apply with a lip brush). It’s thick, glossy and rich consistency feels beautiful to apply. Once on the lips, it dries a little but keeps the majority of shine in tact. The pigment is strong and remains so until warn off.
- The brighter shades (Fuchsia, Ruby, Violet) do tint your natural lips, especially if you’ve just exfoliated.
- I get about 4 hours out of all the colours before I notice the shine has diminished. Colour wear can be up to 8 hours for me, depending on how much eating and talking I do. Either way, I consider these long-wear by my standards.
- They’re comfortable to wear and it’s easy to forget they are on. They aren’t kiss-proof so you do have to be careful with transfer of colour.
- While I do find these to be less drying than most regular lipsticks, I still don’t recommend applying them to chapped lips without applying balm first.
What Too Faced say ….
Get the staying power of a stain, the intense color of a liquid lipstick and the high shine of a gloss in one long-wear formula. Using exclusive technology to keep cauldrons of molten lipsticks liquid and creamy, Melted Liquified Long Wear Lipstick comfortably coats lips in bursts of intense, high-impact, super rich, saturated color that lasts for hours.
MORE TO LOVE:
- Too Faced Co-Founder and Creative Director Jerrod Blandino had never seen lipstick more beautiful, intense, rich and glossy than when it’s in its melted form in the cosmetic labs. With this inspiration, we created a lipstick liquified so it doesn’t lose its pigment or shine while keeping a comfortable, flexible and cushiony wear.
- Provides high-impact, super rich, saturated pigment in a long-wear formula.
- Precision tip applicator to allow for a clean, effortless application each time (no liner needed!)
Australia $31.95 from Mecca Maxima
UK £19 from Selfridges
Do you wear liquid lipstick? Would you wear these colours? Let me know by commenting below.
Too Faced Cosmetics are an accredited cruelty-free company by PETA.org.
Some products suitable are for vegans. You will find a complete list of vegan-friendly items on the FAQ page.
Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dicalcium Phosphate Stearalkonium Bentonite, Silica Silylate, Propylene Carbonate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Aroma/Flavor, Tocopheryl Acetate, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate. May Contain/Peut Contenir (+/-): Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 6 (CI 15850), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).